MAGIA - Medtech Alliance for Global InternationAlisation
The global medical technologies sector (i.e. medical devices, In Vitro Diagnostics and medical imaging equipment) can be a tough environment for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises and start-ups. In Europe the industry - considered to be one of the Top10 emerging ones - is mainly composed of SMEs, which face several obstacles: strong and fast international competition, strict and multi-faceted regulatory environment, the need of integrating diverse technologies, as well as their traditional difficulties: lack of time, money and specialized human resources being the most relevant ones. The role of clusters is thus crucial in supporting companies with their internationalization effort and in providing them with the proper tools.
MAGIA (from the Italian magìa = "magic") - Medtech Alliance for Global InternationAlisation - brings together 4 European leading medtech and health clusters with the objective of fostering internationalization of their SMEs through a strong alliance of European value. The overall goal of the project is to strengthen, through cooperation and resource-sharing, the competitiveness on 2 target global markets of clusters' SMEs operating in the field and to make the innovative European medtech industry more visible. Participating clusters mutualise their knowledge, skills, best practices and their dynamic medtech companies to achieve the necessary critical mass to foster internationalization, achieving a proper positioning on the global scale and provide a coordinated, joint and stronger strategic support to companies. The consortium also intends to create and represent a single European entry point for global players in the medtech sector. Long experience and solid cluster management, mutual knowledge of strengths and assets, a clear focus on two target countries, in depth market studies and a sound and scalable Joint Internationalisation Strategy are the key components of our proposal.
Sectoral and industrial Focus
- Sectoral Industries: Information Technology and Analytical Instruments
- Technology Fields: BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES'Medicine, Human Health'Medical Technology / Biomedical Engineering
- S3 EU priority areas: Human health & social work activities:'Human health activities (medical services)
- Emerging industries: Medical Devices
Specific project objectives
By sharing their respective knowledge and experiences, such as the approach developed through the bioXclusters Alliance, the consortium will deploy activities with the objectives of forming a European Strategic Cluster Partnership on Medtech based on a common vision for a long term relation. Their main objectives will be:
- Set up the basis of the Strategic partnership by analysing in depth each partner organisation; identifying opportunities through the identification and sharing of cluster's skills and competences, as well as strengths and needs (in particular regarding internationalisation) from respective ecosystem in medtech; from these needs the partners will identify precisely the markets to target from a shortlist of countries that the consortium has already identified as relevant for the medtech sector (USA, Canada, China, Japan, Brazil, Middle East countries).
- Generate opportunities for the cluster partners and their SMEs to gain knowledge about the target markets, thanks to dedicated training sessions, the presence of experts and fact-finding missions focused on medtech company international development.
- Developing a common marketing and branding approach, in order to build up the visual and marketing identity of the ESCP as metacluster that could represent the strategic "core" of future pan-European initiatives.
- Defining a joint internationalisation strategy for the ESCP including the Partnership Agreement (PA), expressing the willingness of the partners to engage in a long-term cooperation effort and the ESCP's strategy implementation roadmap.